Monday, February 24, 2014

Everyday bushes

I was taking a walk this fall, enjoying one of the great days we had this past season.  I love the fall, with the feel of the air and the colors of the trees.  The street I was on happened to be lined with maples, so that as last in the season as it was, they were ablaze in reds, oranges, golds, and shades of each of those that I had no names for.  I was thinking of them allegorically, wondering what poem I could create about them and the blaze of colors that I saw, when it hit me.




Burning bush.

My burning bushes were trees.  Or maybe more accurately the trees were my burning bushes.

The point of the burning bush was not to just prove God's power, although it did that.  The point was to get Moses's attention and have him meet and connect with the Great I AM (Exodus 3:3 So Moses thought, “I will go over and see this strange sight—why the bush does not burn up").  Maybe the bush wasn't really on fire, maybe it just looked that way.  Maybe it was just colorful, maybe it was full of colorful birds, or fruit, or it was the play of water across it.  The point was to get Moses over to it so the Almighty God could speak to him.  

So perhaps these trees were to remind me of God.  To get me to consider His creation and His goodness in giving beauty.  To explore, as Paul says in the letter to the Romans, the signs and wonders in the world that display God's existence (Romans 1:20).  It worked that day, for my thoughts turned to the Lord for the rest of the walk.

How many every day burning bushes do I see, and fail to see, that could turn me to see God?  Lord, may I be aware of those things in the world around me that remind me of You; may I be reminded of You in all the things in the world around me, that I may learn to be closer to You.



No comments:

Post a Comment